When upgrading the firmware on an 890 Control board, in rare cases, this process may fail, thus leaving the control board in a state where DSE canâ€ t communicate to this board. This procedure will explain how to reset the board, so DSE can try to communicate to it.
- Remove the 890 control board from the drive. Determine if the control board is a rev 2 (see photo on page 2) or a rev 3 control board. See the attached pictures. Make sure to remove power to the drive before removing the control board. Locate the PLG silkscreen on the board. View the pictures and look for the RED Arrow. It is located behind the X15 terminal block on the rev 3 control board. This may require the removal of the Firewire option card 8903/FA.
- Follow these step-by-step instructions exactly.
- Strip the ends of a 12â€ piece of wire, fold it in half and insert the ends into both holes, of the 2 connections pads PLG. View the pictures and look for the RED Arrow. The arrow points to pads PLG1 on the Rev 3 board and PLG6 on the rev 2 board.
- Once the wires are inserted to PLG, insert the control board back into the drive chassis. Route the wires to the outside of the drive control board.
- Make sure DSE is closed. Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the 890 drive.
- Launch DSE and go to COMMAND / INSTALL FIRMWARE.
- Select the firmware to be installed. Do NOT press the INSTALL button yet. (It may take up to 1 minute for the window to appear).
- Apply power to the 890 drive control board.
- Carefully pull the wire out of the drive, thus removing the wire from the connections pads PLG.
- In DES press the INSTALL buttion.
- Once the firmware is installed, install the configuration into the control board.
- Reinstall the Firewire option card 8903/FA if it was removed. Make sure to remove power to the drive before removing the control board.