There are several things that could cause problems when downloading (or uploading) programs or configuration settings to the 6K family of controllers. This FAQ covers the common causes.
1. Basic communications issues.
- RS232 cable is too long (25 foot general max length recommended).
- Ethernet connection is on an 'open-network' and there is a lot of traffic on it through the hub or switch.
- Communication cable is faulty (RS232, USB to RS232, or Ethernet).
- Communication port on the PC is faulty (RS232, USB to RS232, or Ethernet).
- Electrical interference is causing signal integrity issues.
- Controller has already been configured in a way that disables communications on that port.
2. The controller is already "busy".
- Controller is still running previous loading programs.
- Other devices are still streaming commands to the controller.
3. Addressing of the controller is an issue.
- Another device on the network with the same IP address as the controller or the PC.
- Wrong controller address used in Motion Planner setup (RS232 or Ethernet).
- Ethernet has not been configured and/or enabled in the controller.
4. Reserved word "END" is used inside the programs beyond defining the end of a program definition.
- A program label contains the string "END".
- A text write command contains the string "END".
- A string variable command contains the string "END".
Note - this is a Motion Planner issue as it is looking for the string 'END' in the download file to try and optimize the downloading process. Having the string 'END' appear any where but the actual END command to terminate a program will cause downloading problems. Remove or change any non-program terminating END command strings to something other than 'END'.