On an 890 drive this code can stem from two issues:
1. The keypad was disconnected during operation, and the drive threw an erroneous communications fit. Restore the keypad, cycle power, continue operation.
2. When upgrading the firmware or downloading the configuration on an 890 Control board, in rare cases, this process may fail, thus leaving the control board in a state where DSE is unable communicate to this board. The display MMI (keypad) shows "COMMS CODE N". The control board may be in the boot mode. If the board is in the boot mode, there is a chance of restoring the board.
This procedure will explain how to potentially restore the board, so DSE can communicate to it. To do this procedure you be required to also have a known good 890 drive along with the COMMS CODE N drive.
Follow these instructions step-by-step exactly.
- Apply power to the 890 drive control board of a good working drive.
- Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the good working 890 drive.
- Launch DSE and go to COMMAND / INSTALL FIRMWARE.
- Select the firmware to be installed. Do NOT press the INSTALL button yet.
- Remove the USB cable from this good drive.
- Apply power to the drive which has the COMMS CODE N.
- Connect the USB cable to this drive which has the COMM CODE N.
- In DSE press the INSTALL button. (located in the COMMAND / INSTALL FIRMWARE).
- Once the firmware has installed, install the configuration into the control board.
[QuickLink for the 890 on Parker.com] - Manual, QuickStarts, Product Support, etc
[QuickLink for the 890PX on Parker.com] - Manual, QuickStarts, Product Support, etc