When upgrading the firmware on an 890 Control board, in rare cases, this process may fail, thus leaving the control board in a state where DSE canâ€ t communicate to this board. The display MMI display "COMMS CODE N". The control board may be in the boot mode. If the board is in the boot mode, there is a chance of restoring the board.
This procedure will explain how to restore the board, so DSE can communicate to it. To do this procedure you be required to also have a known good 890 drive along with the COMMS CODE N drive.
Follow these instructions step-by-step exactly.
- Apply power to the 890 drive control board of a good working drive.
- Connect the USB cable to the USB port on the good working 890 drive.
- Launch DSE and go to COMMAND / INSTALL FIRMWARE.
- Select the firmware to be installed. Do NOT press the INSTALL button yet.
- Remove the USB cable from this good drive.
- Apply power to the drive which has the COMMS CODE N.
- Connect the USB cable to this drive which has the COMM CODE N.
- In DSE press the INSTALL button. (located in the COMMAND / INSTALL FIRMWARE).
- Once the firmware has installed, install the configuration into the control board.